Frequently Asked Questions


For Federal Loans:
If you need a deferment for student, military, unemployment, economic hardship, or forbearance status, click on "Benefit Forms" in the right-side menu. If you need a form to request an Employment/Service cancellation, click on "Benefit Forms" in the right-side menu.

For Private Loans:
To obtain a benefit form, create a log in at; go to Documents, Forms & Info to retrieve benefit forms applicable to your loan type. Or contact our call center at 1-800-999-6227 to request a form.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is University Accounting Service?

University Accounting Service (UAS) is a student loan billing service provider. We are hired by colleges, universities, and financial institutions across the country to assist with administering and billing of federal and private student loans including:

  • NDSL/Federal Perkins
  • Nursing Student Loans (NSL)
  • Health Profession Student Loans (HPSL)
  • Primary Care Loans (PCL)
  • Loans to Disadvantaged Students (LDS)
  • Nurse Faculty Loans (NFLP)
  • State-mandated loan program
  • Private and institutional loan programs

We are here to help you understand the terms under which you took your loan(s) and provide solutions for making payments and preventing default.

back to top

Does UAS own my loan?

No. UAS is a student loan servicer and does not own your loan.

back to top

When is my first payment due?

Depending on the type(s) of loan(s) you have, the first payment may be due while you are enrolled (in school), at the end of your enrollment, or after a grace period. The due date of your first payment is determined by your promissory note.

back to top

How can I make payments?

UAS offers the following payment methods:

Online at by creating one of the following:

  • A one-time electronic (ACH) payment from a bank account, or
  • Recurring electronic (ACH) payments from a bank account

If you would like to send a check, make the check payable to the lending school or the financial institution and mail it to the following address:

       University Accounting Service
       PO Box 5865
       Carol Stream, IL 60197-5865

Be sure to include your loan account number on your check and include the remittance section from your billing statement.

You also may call UAS at 1-800-999-6227 to make a payment by phone.

back to top

What happens with my loan if I continue my higher education after leaving the institution I attended when I received the loan?

Many loan programs allow for deferment or forbearance while you attend school at least half time. If your loan type permits this type of benefit, you may need to apply for the benefit by completing a benefit form. Forms can be found by creating a login at and locating the Benefit Forms section; by calling UAS at 800-999-6227 to request a form; or by mailing a written request to UAS, P.O. Box 918, Brookfield, WI 53008.

back to top

Where is the link to determine if I am eligible for deferment?

For more details on the Federal Perkins Loan or National Direct Loan Program deferment categories, click here.

back to top

What happens if I have trouble paying my loan?

Contact us immediately if you will be unable to make your loan payment(s) by the due date.

Depending on the type of loan you have, you may be eligible for a benefit such as deferment, forbearance or cancellation.

Benefit forms for your specific loan type can be found by creating a login at and locating the Benefit Forms section. Forms will be listed for loan programs that provide some benefit. You also may call UAS at 800-999-6227 to request a form, or submit a request by mailing a written request to UAS, P.O. Box 918, Brookfield, WI 53008.

back to top

Can I request UAS to consolidate my loans?

UAS does not offer loan consolidations and cannot consolidate your loans because UAS is not a lending institution. Please continue reading for more information on loan consolidation.

Loan consolidation is offered by the Department of Education (federal loans only) and by private financial institutions. Consolidation may be an option if you have one or multiple loans with one or multiple lenders, including federal or private student loan types.

Consolidation can offer certain advantages, such as a single loan or a reduced number of total loans. It can be used as an opportunity to refinance your student loan debt load to reduce monthly payment amounts and/or potentially reduce your interest rate(s). As everyone’s financial situation is different, consumers need to explore companies that offer consolidation services and discover through those companies what circumstances will qualify loans for consolidation.

When considering the option to consolidate a Federal Perkins Loan, be aware that doing so will eliminate the current available benefits associated with a Perkins Loan, such as the fixed 5% interest rate, interest free periods during deferment, and the ability to qualify for cancellation, deferment or forbearance benefit programs. Also, an extended repayment period due to a reduced payment amount means more interest may be paid over the life of the loan.

For information about federal student loan consolidation, go to:

back to top

What is rehabilitation?

Seriously delinquent Federal Perkins Loans may be rehabilitated. After nine consecutive monthly payments your account will be considered current and be reported to the credit bureaus and to the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) as such. Your lending institution will determine the monthly payment for the applicable benefit. You may regain eligibility for Title IV financial aid by making six consecutive on-time monthly payments.

back to top

I sent in my payment, but received a letter/statement saying that I am delinquent. What’s going on?

It's possible the letter or billing statement was sent before the payment was received. To verify the account status and confirm receipt of the payment, you may:

  • Call our Interactive Voice Response system at 1-800-999-6227, available 24/7.
  • Visit our website portal at to create a login and view information about your account.
  • Call us at 1-800-999-6227 to speak to a Representative. Our hours are Monday-Friday from 7am-5pm (Central).

back to top

I didn't receive my billing statement. Now what?

If you move, be sure to update your address with the Post Office. You should also update the mailing address online at or call us at 1-800-999-6227.

It is your responsibility to make loan payments, even if you don't receive a statement.

back to top

Where can I learn about cosigner options?

For questions regarding cosigner release, please call us at 1-800-999-6227 or setup an online access at By setting up a registration, you may contact us through the portal. UAS does not own your loan, but may be able to assist with questions based on your lenders cosigner release practices.

Cosigners may make payments through their own registration login at For questions about setting up your registration access please call us at 1-800-999-6227.

back to top

I've heard that my account could be reported to a credit bureau. Why would that happen?

Federal loans are reported to a credit bureau per the loan program regulations. If you make payments and/or file for benefits on time, your credit report will reflect the on-time activities. Late payments and benefit forms will also report to the credit bureaus. If you believe there is something inaccurate on your credit bureau report in relation to an account that is serviced by UAS, please contact our office immediately at 800-999-6227 to inform us of the potential error.

back to top

How can I authorize a family member so they can get information on my account?

UAS personnel CANNOT provide specific account information to anyone, including the consumer’s family - e.g. spouse, parent, grandparent - unless the consumer signs a release indicating to whom UAS can provide information.

To complete a release or authorization form, you may login to, go to Account/Settings/Account Access/Manage Account Access. Select "Configure Access" to create a new authorization or to remove an existing authorized individual. Note that authorization must be granted to each loan individually.

back to top

I consolidated my loan. Why am I still getting bills?

The consolidation process may take some time. Your consolidation lender must process your application, verify the loans being consolidated, and send payments to the original lenders. Or, your loan may not have been included in the consolidation loan. Not all student loans are eligible for consolidation. If you have questions about the progress of your consolidation, please contact your consolidation lender.

back to top

What is capitalized interest?

Interest may capitalize (i.e. be added to the principal balance of your loan) at designated timeframes specified in your loan agreement.

For example, Interest may capitalize after a period of forbearance during which interest is accruing but payments are not required.

back to top

Can I decide how to allocate my payment to the multiple accounts I have that are serviced by UAS?

Yes. When a consumer submits payment(s) for multiple accounts, all of which are serviced by UAS, the consumer may decide to have certain portions of the payment applied to specific loans. To allocate payment(s), you may visit our website at, select Payments, choose your payment method, and use the Pay Toward Loan column to designate the specific portion of the payment that you would like applied to each account. Additionally, you may call us at 1-800-999-6227 for allocation requests or questions.

back to top


Student Loan Links